Quantum Mechanics with HV is Local!

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

Re: Quantum Mechanics with HV is Local!

Postby Joy Christian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:24 am

Yablon wrote:
Joy Christian wrote:
Yablon wrote:
I prefer not to think of what was being discussed here using the expression “limit” because that has a connotation with calculus that really is not applicable here. I prefer to think of it as “observational effect on spin” or the like.

That preference may be justified in the quantum mechanical version of the model being discussed here, but it is not justified in my Geometric Algebra model. In fact, limits, as used in my GA model, are the most natural way to represent what is happening geometrically within the topology of the 3-sphere. My GA model is a purely geometrical model, with no quantum stuff.

Joy Christian wrote:
Have a look at equations (72) and (73) of this paper. Note that I have used the standard calculus rule of “product of limits equal to limits of the product.” The validity of this rule in the context can be verified at once by recognizing that the same quaternion −D(a)L(a, λ)L(b, λ)D(b) results from both the limits in Eq. (72) and the limits in Eq. (73).

I think it is important to appreciate just how radical my GA approach to quantum correlations is. In it, absolutely everything concerning the experiment is represented purely geometrically.

However, as you know, I believe that there are isomorphisms between QM and GA, and that eventually what you are doing needs to be understood as quantum mechanics in a different mathematical language. There are insights which QM can gain from GA, and vice versa. I think it unwise to sell short, one or the other. And I think the primary problems with QM are interpretive. Jay

Yes, the problems with quantum mechanics are only interpretive. For this reason, in the 1960s David Hestenes initiated the program of Geometric Algebra. One of its aims was to reveal the purely geometrical meaning of much of the quantum mechanical formalism. For example, he showed that Pauli matrices are not mysterious but simply provide a Clifford-algebraic basis of the three-dimensional physical space. With Clifford algebra being a noncommutative algebra, his grander program was to reinterpret every quantum mechanical concept in such geometrical terms. However, none of his work or the works of those who followed his approach (which is now a thriving community) addressed the concerns of the strong quantum correlations raised by John Bell. And that is where I entered the field of Geometric Algebra and Bell's theorem in 2007: https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0703179. Incidentally, this little history demonstrates how misguided a couple of early critics of my work were who questioned my use of Geometric Algebra and puzzled why I was not using Pauli matrices instead to make life easier for me. :-)

What you are doing is going in the opposite direction of David Hestenes's program using Geometric Algebra, but starting with my work on the strong correlations. You are relying on quantum mechanical concepts such as "the uncertainty principle." I have preferred to view my GA model for strong correlations as a result of the non-commutativity of various algebras I have used in it instead of “the uncertainty principle.” The latter comes with undesirable interpretative issues, like all other quantum mechanical concepts. The two algebras I have used in the GA model are the quaternionic algebra and an octonion-like algebra, both of which being non-commutative. They correspond to the two parallelizable spheres, S^3 and S^7. The only other possible parallelizable spheres are S^0 and S^1, which correspond, respectively, to the real and complex numbers, both of which form commutative algebras (so there is no “uncertainty” in them).

Thus, while the mathematics we are using have considerable overlap, they are not strictly isomorphic. In particular, the GA model is purely classical, whereas what you are using is quantum mechanical. At least conceptually our two approaches are quite different. Orthodox quantum mechanical notions are plagued with objective chance, irreducible randomness, uncertainty, non-reality, unsharp reality, non-locality, quantum superposition, quantum entanglement, quantum potentiality, etc. The GA model, on the other hand, is free of all of such weirdness.

Last edited by Joy Christian on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby gill1109 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:19 am

Joy Christian wrote:
gill1109 wrote:The mistake I believe you are making in that paper is not in the step from equation (72) to (73) but the very big step from equation (73) to (74).

There is no mistake. Eq. (74) follows trivially from Eq. (73) within the Geometric Algebra framework presented in the paper, which I have linked above. It is not a "big step."

It might have seemed a small and trivial step for you but it is a big step for humankind (are there any women here, by the way?). As you know, I think it was a misstep! Especially since there is a different and I would think, legitimate, alternative route to evaluating the same quantity which gets a different answer.

Anyway, we don't talk about it any more (till the symposium).
gill1109
Mathematical Statistician

Postby gill1109 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:29 am

Joy Christian wrote:The two algebras I have used in the GA model are the quaternionic algebra and an octonion-like algebra, both of which being non-commutativity. They correspond to the two parallelizable spheres, S^3 and S^7. The only other possible parallelizable spheres are S^0 and S^1, which correspond, respectively, to the real and complex numbers, both of which form commutative algebras (so there is no “uncertainty” in them).

Any news yet on publication of your purely mathematical paper about this?
Joy Christian, University of Oxford

"Eight-dimensional Octonion-like but Associative Normed Division Algebra"

Abstract: We present an eight-dimensional even sub-algebra of the 2^4 = 16-dimensional associative Clifford algebra Cl(4,0) and show that its eight-dimensional elements denoted as X and Y respect the norm relation ||XY|| = ||X|| ||Y||, thus forming an octonion-like but associative normed division algebra

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01933757/document
https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01933757

Unfortunately, good pure maths journals still take a long time to referee papers.
gill1109

Postby Joy Christian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:31 am

gill1109 wrote:
Joy Christian wrote:
gill1109 wrote:The mistake I believe you are making in that paper is not in the step from equation (72) to (73) but the very big step from equation (73) to (74).

There is no mistake. Eq. (74) follows trivially from Eq. (73) within the Geometric Algebra framework presented in the paper, which I have linked above. It is not a "big step."

It might have seemed a small and trivial step for you but it is a big step for humankind (are there any women here, by the way?). As you know, I think it was a misstep! Especially since there is a different and I would think, legitimate, alternative route to evaluating the same quantity which gets a different answer.

Anyway, we don't talk about it anymore (till the symposium).

There are no mistakes or missteps in my work. With the crooked glasses of Bell dogma, the whole world looks like a mistake.

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby Joy Christian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:49 am

gill1109 wrote:
Joy Christian wrote:The two algebras I have used in the GA model are the quaternionic algebra and an octonion-like algebra, both of which being non-commutative. They correspond to the two parallelizable spheres, S^3 and S^7. The only other possible parallelizable spheres are S^0 and S^1, which correspond, respectively, to the real and complex numbers, both of which form commutative algebras (so there is no “uncertainty” in them).

Any news yet on publication of your purely mathematical paper about this?
Joy Christian, University of Oxford

"Eight-dimensional Octonion-like but Associative Normed Division Algebra"

Abstract: We present an eight-dimensional even sub-algebra of the 2^4 = 16-dimensional associative Clifford algebra Cl(4,0) and show that its eight-dimensional elements denoted as X and Y respect the norm relation ||XY|| = ||X|| ||Y||, thus forming an octonion-like but associative normed division algebra

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01933757/document
https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01933757

Unfortunately, good pure maths journals still take a long time to referee papers.

Under review since 24 Nov 2018. Last communication with the journal 29 May 2019: "Thank you for your patience. We apologize for the delay in reviewing your submission."

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby FrediFizzx » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:00 am

Joy Christian wrote:
Yablon wrote: However, as you know, I believe that there are isomorphisms between QM and GA, and that eventually what you are doing needs to be understood as quantum mechanics in a different mathematical language. There are insights which QM can gain from GA, and vice versa. I think it unwise to sell short, one or the other. And I think the primary problems with QM are interpretive. Jay

Yes, the problems with quantum mechanics are only interpretive. For this reason, in the 1960s David Hestenes initiated the program of Geometric Algebra. One of its aims was to reveal the purely geometrical meaning of much of the quantum mechanical formalism. For example, he showed that Pauli matrices are not mysterious but simply provide a Clifford-algebraic basis of the three-dimensional physical space. With Clifford algebra being a noncommutative algebra, his grander program was to reinterpret every quantum mechanical concept in such geometrical terms. However, none of his work or the works of those who followed his approach (which is now a thriving community) addressed the concerns of the strong quantum correlations raised by John Bell. And that is where I entered the field of Geometric Algebra and Bell's theorem in 2007: https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0703179. Incidentally, this little history demonstrates how misguided a couple of early critics of my work were who questioned my use of Geometric Algebra and puzzled why I was not using Pauli matrices instead to make life easier for me. :-)

What you are doing is going in the opposite direction of David Hestenes's program using Geometric Algebra, but starting with my work on the strong correlations. You are relying on quantum mechanical concepts such as "the uncertainty principle." I have preferred to view my GA model for strong correlations as a result of the non-commutativity of various algebras I have used in it instead of “the uncertainty principle.” The latter comes with undesirable interpretative issues, like all other quantum mechanical concepts. The two algebras I have used in the GA model are the quaternionic algebra and an octonion-like algebra, both of which being non-commutative. They correspond to the two parallelizable spheres, S^3 and S^7. The only other possible parallelizable spheres are S^0 and S^1, which correspond, respectively, to the real and complex numbers, both of which form commutative algebras (so there is no “uncertainty” in them).

Thus, while the mathematics we are using have considerable overlap, they are not strictly isomorphic. In particular, the GA model is purely classical, whereas what you are using is quantum mechanical. At least conceptually our two approaches are quite different. Orthodox quantum mechanical notions are plagued with objective chance, irreducible randomness, uncertainty, non-reality, unsharp reality, non-locality, quantum superposition, quantum entanglement, quantum potentiality, etc. The GA model, on the other hand, is free of all of such weirdness.

In order to get some of the bad interpretations out of QM, we have to show that it is local with an HV. And guess what? Your HV works perfectly! That is quite amazing for me. So I think Jay has a good approach to use QM. I doubt that we can completely get away from randomness and probabilities. There is still a lot we don't know about the microcosm.
FrediFizzx
Independent Physics Researcher

Postby Joy Christian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:28 am

FrediFizzx wrote:
In order to get some of the bad interpretations out of QM, we have to show that it is local with an HV. And guess what? Your HV works perfectly! That is quite amazing for me. So I think Jay has a good approach to use QM. I doubt that we can completely get away from randomness and probabilities. There is still a lot we don't know about the microcosm.

There is no irreducible randomness or objective chance in the GA model. It relies only on epistemic probabilities of coin-toss or classical type, in line with Einstein's vision of local-realism.

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby FrediFizzx » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:36 am

Joy Christian wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:

There is no irreducible randomness or objective chance in the GA model. It relies only on epistemic probabilities of coin-toss or classical type, in line with Einstein's vision of local-realism.

Sure, it works for the EPR-Bohm case but try to do particle physics with GA.
FrediFizzx

Postby Joy Christian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 am

FrediFizzx wrote:
Joy Christian wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:

The GA model works not just for the EPR-Bohm case but for ALL possible quantum correlations, no matter what the corresponding quantum state is: https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.02392.

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby FrediFizzx » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:53 am

Joy Christian wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:
Joy Christian wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:

The GA model works not just for the EPR-Bohm case but for ALL possible quantum correlations, no matter what the corresponding quantum state is: https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.02392.

Sure, but there is more to particle physics than just quantum correlations. Now, I am not saying it is impossible to do particle physics with GA. In fact, Doran and Lasenby in "Geometric Algebra for Physicists" have a few examples worked out for scattering. But Feynman greatly simplified working out probability amplitudes for practically all cases in particle physics so I don't expect much improvement by using GA. Much of the problem stems from not knowing exactly what happens when particles interact. But we found out that using probabilities helps a lot to get the right answers.
FrediFizzx

Postby gill1109 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 pm

Doran and Lasenby also do EPR-B and entanglement and the singlet correlations. No hidden variables. Just very efficient GA calculation of the expectation values and probabilities which one expects to find in experiments.

Maybe worthwhile re-reading.
gill1109

Postby FrediFizzx » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:25 pm

gill1109 wrote:Doran and Lasenby also do EPR-B and entanglement and the singlet correlations. No hidden variables. Just very efficient GA calculation of the expectation values and probabilities which one expects to find in experiments.

Not worthwhile for me to re-read it. It's not local. It's Joy's HV that makes it local.
FrediFizzx

Postby gill1109 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:21 pm

FrediFizzx wrote:
gill1109 wrote:Doran and Lasenby also do EPR-B and entanglement and the singlet correlations. No hidden variables. Just very efficient GA calculation of the expectation values and probabilities which one expects to find in experiments.

Not worthwhile for me to re-read it. It's not local. It's Joy's HV that makes it local.

Sure, if you trust Joy's mathematics!

Better not to take anything for granted. Look at things from different points of view. "Contradictions" are messages that there is something interesting to be learnt. Find out what Doran and Lasenby did and let us know if they made any mistakes.

Good evening! (and good morning, to those in Europe)
gill1109

Postby FrediFizzx » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 pm

gill1109 wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:

Sure, if you trust Joy's mathematics!

Better not to take anything for granted. Look at things from different points of view. "Contradictions" are messages that there is something interesting to be learnt. Find out what Doran and Lasenby did and let us know if they made any mistakes. …

I don't need to trust "Joy's mathematics". I've done the math myself and it works perfectly. It is actually fairly simple.

Doran and Lasenby did make a mistake. They didn't use Joy's hidden variable. :D
FrediFizzx

Postby FrediFizzx » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi Folks,

Thanks to your previous criticisms, we have arrived at the penultimate functions!

But don't give up now. Hammer them hard if you can. :D
FrediFizzx

Postby Mikko » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:32 am

FrediFizzx wrote:Hi Folks,

Thanks to your previous criticisms, we have arrived at the penultimate functions!

These equations are mathematically and logically invalid as is defined in terms of itself, and so is .
Mikko

Postby Joy Christian » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:37 am

Mikko wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:Hi Folks,

These equations are mathematically and logically invalid as is defined in terms of itself, and so is .

That is utter nonsense. is not defined in terms of itself, and neither is .

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby gill1109 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:53 am

Joy Christian wrote:
Mikko wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:... we have arrived at the penultimate functions

That is utter nonsense. is not defined in terms of itself, and neither is .

Just posted on the other thread where the same formulas were also posted:
gill1109 wrote:Remember what I keep saying about "bound variables" (aka dummy variables) and "free variables" and the standard mathematical "epsilon-delta" definition of limit? You can't have a limit as s converges to a function of s. At least, not in conventional mathematics. You are welcome to break with convention but then please tell us what you mean, precisely, with your unconventional notation.

You can take a limit as a difference between s and a function of s converges to zero. What it would exactly entail in the present case is just a question of writing out the epsilon-delta definition and seeing what it actually means.
gill1109

Postby Joy Christian » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:03 am

The measurement functions, as defined, are perfectly valid functions. They are quite easy to understand in terms of the limits defined. We all know what "limit" means in mathematics.

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby gill1109 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:06 am

Joy Christian wrote:***
The measurement functions, as defined, are perfectly valid functions. They are quite easy to understand in terms of the limits defined. We all know what "limit" means in mathematics.

We don't all know what it means. See my further response and queations on the other thread http://www.sciphysicsforums.com/spfbb1/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=386&start=60#p9080
gill1109

PreviousNext

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations