Computer Simulation of EPR Scenarios

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

Re: Computer Simulation of EPR Scenarios

Postby gill1109 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Good reading, Zen! Indeed, there is *no* theta_0 which satisfies the condition *for all x*, Joy thinks that any x will do; say, a and b.

The writings do not specify the marginal distributions of theta_0 and e_0, let along the joint distribution. The various people writing programs have taken uniform distributions, and independence. Sometimes discrete uniform instead of continuous uniform. Sometimes e_0 is taken from the circle instead of from the sphere.

Minkwe: Pick a large integer K and let delta = (pi/2)/K. Picking an angle t uniformly at random from the finite set {0, delta, 2 delta, ... , pi/2} and calculating 1/2 sin(t)^2 is not much different from picking an angle t uniformly at random from the interval [0, pi/2] and calculating 1/2 sin(t)^2.

Are you saying that Nature uses the first method? Where is it specified in Joy's writing that the angle theta_0 comes from a discrete distribution? What is the value of K?

When the sample size is large enough and the increments between Alice and Bob's angles are small enough, and when you zoom in and look at the graph at, say, 30 degrees, you'll see a small but systematic deviation.

This is the value at 30 degrees, to three decimals: -0.849

(and without any articial discretizations; computed with John Reed's Mathematica code)

This is negative cosine of 30 degrees, to three decimals: -0.866

Fred, Joy: please show us pictures, not of the whole curves (theoretical and experimental), but just the bits between, say, 29 and 31 degrees. On the vertical scale: between -0.9 and -0.8

If you take the measurement angles all to be whole numbers of degrees then all differences between measurement angles are whole numbers too. You can plot just three points on each of the two curves for us.

Here is an example from http://rpubs.com/gill1109/EPRB2 (minkwe's model in R, upside down). Correlations are computed for differences between Alice and Bob's angles equal to 0 degrees, 7.5 degrees, 15 degrees .... Sample size is 1 million, at each measurement angle pair.. There is *no* unnecessary disretization: this is as accurate as it can get.

The title of the plot should read "negative of two correlation functions".

gill1109
Mathematical Statistician

Postby Joy Christian » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:58 am

gill1109 wrote:Good reading, Zen! Indeed, there is *no* theta_0 which satisfies the condition *for all x*, Joy thinks that any x will do; say, a and b.

Why do you insist on deliberately and knowingly making false statements? Haven't we gone through this like a million times before? You are doing this deliberately, because you did seem to understand before that in my non-flatland S^3 model there are infinitely many theta_o that satisfy the condition "for all x." Why then are you making this false statement? If you did not understand something, then read this proof once again: http://libertesphilosophica.info/blog/w ... mplete.pdf.

Also, let me repeat here what I wrote earlier:

"On the other hand, I am able to reduce the discrepancy to nearly insignificant when I run his code with the two phase angles on Bob's side as we discussed above.

"Another possibility that may be playing a role is how theta_o has been implemented in his code as well as in the original code of Michel. It has been taken randomly from the interval [0, pi/2], but that is not exactly how it appears in my analytical picture. We can see from eq.(10) that what should be done according to the analytical model is choose two vectors, e_o and g_o, randomly, so that eq.(10) is satisfied. So strictly speaking theta_o is an approximation. In Michel's simulation this approximation seems to work, but in Gill's more refined code the difference between random theta_o versus random vector g_o may be playing a significant role.

"So, upon further reflections and investigations, it seems to me that there are more than one factors that are contributing to the discrepancy Gill has been reporting."

Moreover, what minkwe wrote above also explains the error in your simulation you are seeing:

minkwe wrote:I've been too busy to participate in this thread but I do not see the observed discrepancy when I run my python code, probably because as you can see on line 26 of the code, the way the p distribution is obtained is specific. I do not uniformly select t from 0 to pi/2 and then calculate 1/2 sin(t)^2. Rather, I generate a uniformly spaced set of t from 0 to pi/2, calculate 1/2 sin(t)^2 for each value in this set, then randomly pick p values from this set, with replacement.
Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby gill1109 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:33 am

Indeed I do not understand "the Math of Joy", we have been through this before. Nice for me to see that Zen has the same problem that I do.

But this discussion has laid bare a discrepancy between the Minkwe model and Joy's original. We should not be sampling theta_0 uniformly from [0, pi/2] but we should be sampling g_0 uniformly from S^2 and picking some x in S^2 ... how? which? and putting they_0 = arg cos (x^T g_0).

We await instructions from Joy. His wish is our command.

Why does Minkwe sample e_0 uniformly from S^1 and not from S^2? His results get better when we move from S^1 to S^2, as I have demonstrated at in various simulation experiments at http://rpubs.com/gill1109

What Minkwe wrote explains small differences between the different simulation results. It does not explain why none of them would reproduce the cosine curve exactly, when performed at larger and larger numerical precision and at larger and larger sample sizes.

Various readers seem to have difficulty with "the Math of Joy".

Joy seems to have difficulty figuring out what the various simulation experiments are actually computing.
gill1109

Postby gill1109 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:41 am

Joy Christian wrote:On the other hand, I am able to reduce the discrepancy to nearly insignificant when I run his code with the two phase angles on Bob's side as we discussed above.

We are still waiting for the "good phase angles". "Nearly insignificant" is not good enough. We need phase angles such that when the simulation is run with larger and larger sample sizes, and bigger and bigger numerical precision, the curve converges *exactly* to the negative cosine.

How come you suddenly need some very carefully chosen phase angles in the simulation models, when there was none in the original S^3 model? If the simuation recipes are *deduced* from the true S^3 model, any parameters like these phase angles should come out in the wash. *Determined* by the underlying, true, physics.
gill1109

Postby Joy Christian » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:08 am

gill1109 wrote:Indeed I do not understand "the Math of Joy", we have been through this before. Nice for me to see that Zen has the same problem that I do.

If you don't understand elementary mathematics of the 3-sphere, then you should not be working on my model in the first place. As for Zen, for all we know he is probably your student, or your colleague (or just you yourself, pretending to be Zen). In any case, I have replied to Zen's comments above.

gill1109 wrote:But this discussion has laid bare a discrepancy between the Minkwe model and Joy's original. We should not be sampling theta_0 uniformly from [0, pi/2] but we should be sampling g_0 uniformly from S^2 and picking some x in S^2 ... how? which? and putting they_0 = arg cos (x^T g_0).

What has been laid bare is that you are making errors in your simulation which others are not making. As minkwe explained, he does not sample theta_0 uniformly from [0, pi/2]. You are the one who is doing it. Consequently you are the one who is seeing a discrepancy that is not there in my analytical model to begin with.

gill1109 wrote:We await instructions from Joy. His wish is our command.

My wish is that you iron out the errors in your simulation by accurately implementing line 26 of Michel's code, as minkwe explained above.

gill1109 wrote:Joy seems to have difficulty figuring out what the various simulation experiments are actually computing.

I have difficulty figuring out why you insist on introducing errors in your simulation. I have no difficulty understanding the other error-free simulations.
Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby gill1109 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:02 am

Joy Christian wrote:As minkwe explained, he does not sample theta_0 uniformly from [0, pi/2]. You are the one who is doing it. Consequently you are the one who is seeing a discrepancy that is not there in my analytical model to begin with.

I have difficulty figuring out why you insist on introducing errors in your simulation. I have no difficulty understanding the other error-free simulations.

The only error-free simulation - in the sense that we can get the negative cosine, exactly, in the limit of large sample size and perfect precision - is the Gisin-Gisin simulation. I have introduced no errors, on the contrary, I have removed several errors/inaccuracies. My simulations have the largest sample sizes and the highest precision of any, to date. I recently re-did John Reed's Mathematica simulation with higher precision and larger sample size and thereby gave independent confirmation of the discrepancy which we saw earlier.

Indeed, Minkwe samples theta_0 uniformly from a finite equally spaced set of points from [0, pi/2]. I have redone my R simulation with this choice, instead of the continuous uniform. I took step sizes of 7.5 degrees, starting at 0 and going up to 82.5 degrees. Is that the right choice? Should I add 90 degrees? Or take a different step size?

http://rpubs.com/gill1109/EPRB2minkwe

Have you removed the "faked" simulation by Michel Sabsay from your web-page yet? It is quite scandalous, a disgrace. It is a discredit to you.

*You* should tell us exactly what distribution you want theta_0 to have!
gill1109

Postby Mikko » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:36 am

About equations:
FrediFizzx wrote:Must be a DNS problem as I can't see them. Only image placeholders.
Update: Tried resetting my cable modem, router, etc. Still no go. Well... not the first time Time Warner Cable has had DNS problems. But I tried over my phone (not thru TWC but thru ATT) and still no math images and I can't even get on codecogs.com website to report the problem. Strange indeed!

I can't see the equations, either; but I can read the codecogs.com web site.
Mikko

Postby gill1109 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:58 am

Don't worry about the fight, Zen. Let's concentrate on the Monte Carlo experiments.

I was curious about the simulations too. That's why I have been rewriting them in R, and posting my scripts and findings at http://rpubs.com/gill1109

Anyone can believe whatever they like about the theory proposed by Christian.

I study the simulation models which have been published by Chantal Roth, Daniel Sabsay, Michel Fodje, John Reed (Python, Java, Javascript, Mathematica).

I have pointed out that they have a close relationship with models proposed by Caroline Thompson some years ago: "unsharp" observation of circular caps on a "chaotic spinning ball".

My conclusion at this point is that if you want to reproduce the negative cosine curve, you should go for the Gisin and Gisin model. No approximations. No fudge factors or free parameters. Utter simplicity.

My suggestion to Joy is that he tries to show that the Gisin and Gisin simulation model is the true "flatland" version of his S^3 physical model. Much wiser than looking for yet more ad hoc fixes to already over-complicated and ad hoc models.
gill1109

Postby minkwe » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:28 am

I haven't looked at Caroline's model so I can't say if it is similar to anything I've done.

It would appear on first reading of the Gisin model that Bob knows Alice's angle, else why do they define Alice's vector using the difference in angle between Bob and Alice (alpha)?
minkwe

Postby gill1109 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:48 am

minkwe wrote:I haven't looked at Caroline's model so I can't say if it is similar to anything I've done.

It would appear on first reading of the Gisin model that Bob knows Alice's angle, else why do they define Alice's vector using the difference in angle between Bob and Alice (alpha)?

I don't know why you think that Bob has to know Alice's angle. Where precisely do you think you see the difference in angle between Alice and Bob being used?

In my code http://rpubs.com/gill1109/Gisin2opt, or in the original article http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9905018?

Caroline Thompson was a very wise and very independent minded lady who was badly treated by the establishment and moreover sadly died before her time, of cancer. Incidentally, she had a strong background in statistics as well as in physics.

You can read about her model here:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0210150
http://freespace.virgin.net/ch.thompson1/
http://freespace.virgin.net/ch.thompson1/Papers/The%20Record/TheRecord.htm

Her model involves choosing a point uniformly at random on a sphere and testing to see whether or not it lies in certain circular caps, whose centres are the +/- the measurement directions a, b (also represented as points on the sphere).

Your model involves choosing a point on the circle and the measurement directions are also seen as points on the circle.

Her basic model had circular caps of fixed radius. That's like having a fixed threshold for detection of a state. You have a random threshold determined by theta_0. But Caroline herself only intended her basic model as a pedagogical tool, and herself mentioned that it should be extended by introducing some kind of "unsharp" detection.

So I think it is fair to say that your model is an S^1 version of Caroline's dream model.
gill1109

Postby Joy Christian » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:32 am

minkwe wrote:I haven't looked at Caroline's model so I can't say if it is similar to anything I've done.

You are correct. The Gisin-Gisin model is manifestly non-local. The non-locality is hidden in their "convenient" choice of reference frame.

This is a perfect example of Bell-believers not being able see the blatant errors in works that are consistent with their own cherished ideology.

All one has to do is to use a different reference frame than the one they have "conveniently" chosen to manifest the non-locality of their model.
Last edited by Joy Christian on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby gill1109 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:06 am

Joy Christian wrote:

You are correct. The Gisin-Gisin model is manifestly non-local. The non-locality is hidden in their "convenient" choice of reference frame.

This is a perfect example of people not being able see the blatant errors in works that are consistent with their own cherished ideology.

The Gisin-Gisin model is manifestly local. The model is rotationally invariant. The reference frame is irrelevant. This is a perfect example of people not being able see the blatant errors in works that are in-consistent with their own cherished ideology. Reading and writing seems to be a problem, too ... it would be wise to carefully study the evidence and write a measured and calm reply after sufficient careful thought.

I am waiting for Minkwe to tell us where precisely he sees a difference in angle between Bob and Alice being used to define a vector of Alice's. Where he sees it in my code. He does not need to await instructions from The Big Boss. He's an independent, thinking, scientist.

Gisin and Gisin's own *interpretation* of their model is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. They describe a simulation model which reproduces in local realistic way *precisely* the negative cosine correlations. Might be useful ...
gill1109

Postby gill1109 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks for the remark, Zen.

I always multiply the outcomes on one side of the experiment by minus one so that the predicted curve is plus cosine. It obviously doesn't make any difference, as long as you know what is going on! Many other people do the same. "Perfect correlation at equal settings" is a bit more easy to think about than "perfect anti-correlation at equal settings" and it is just a question of a sign flip... (and it makes for less typing).

Zen wrote:Richard,

In this R script

http://rpubs.com/gill1109/Gisin2

you're probably missing a minus sign in the computation of the correlation

corr <- sum( sign(ca[good]) * - sign(cb[good]) ) / M

and the qm correlation is - sum(a * b).
gill1109

Postby Joy Christian » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:21 pm

gill1109 wrote:Don't worry about the fight, Zen. Let's concentrate on the Monte Carlo experiments.

It is abundantly clear---and it is demonstrably proven by several people beyond any shadow of doubt---that it is Gill's attempted simulation of my flawless analytical model, and only Gill's attempted simulation of my flawless analytical model, that is in error.

How do I know this? How can I be so confident? Well, just take a look at the eight elementary mathematical equations in this two-page document. One does not have to be Einstein to see the analytical validity of these equations. One does not need a simulation to prove the analytical validity of these equations. If an attempted simulation does not reproduce what is already proven analytically in these equations, then one does not need a PhD in mathematics or statistics to know who or what is in error. QED
Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby minkwe » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:14 pm

gill1109 wrote:I am waiting for Minkwe to tell us where precisely he sees a difference in angle between Bob and Alice being used to define a vector of Alice's. Where he sees it in my code. He does not need to await instructions from The Big Boss. He's an independent, thinking, scientist.

Richard,
What's all this talk about The Big Boss, is it coming from the same place as your earlier claims without evidence that I had been paid to write code?

As concerns your demands that I make a precise statement about your code, it is obvious that I made a statement about the Gisin model, not your code. If you want to see the part of the paper about which I was speaking, you can check for yourself at the top of page 2:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9905018.pdf

Where they derive the -cos(alpha) relationship, you can see that they do not use separate angles on each side. Rather, they define the vectors by using the difference of the angles. Now I'm not saying it is not possible to redo it using different angles, all I'm saying is they define b = (0,0,1) and a = (sin(alpha), 0, cos(alpha)), which clearly shows that we are using information about Bob's angle choice to define Alice's angle choice.
minkwe

Postby gill1109 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:05 am

Dear Minkwe,

Seems we have a different sense of humour!

It was not obvious to me whether you were talking about words written by Gisin and Gisin, about their mathematics, or about my code. Three different things!

But good: you were criticizing what Gisin and Gisin wrote about their model.

Now please tell me whether you think my simulation is non local! I admit that it was in some way inspired by the Gisin Gisin model, but I do not have to take on board any of their ideas about what it could mean. Where is the non-locality in my code?

If you prefer I can write out the simple basic formulas which the code implements, and you can tell me where is the non-locality in my formulas?

Richard

minkwe wrote:
gill1109 wrote:I am waiting for Minkwe to tell us where precisely he sees a difference in angle between Bob and Alice being used to define a vector of Alice's. Where he sees it in my code. He does not need to await instructions from The Big Boss. He's an independent, thinking, scientist.

Richard,
What's all this talk about The Big Boss, is it coming from the same place as your earlier claims without evidence that I had been paid to write code?

As concerns your demands that I make a precise statement about your code, it is obvious that I made a statement about the Gisin model, not your code. If you want to see the part of the paper about which I was speaking, you can check for yourself at the top of page 2:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9905018.pdf

Where they derive the -cos(alpha) relationship, you can see that they do not use separate angles on each side. Rather, they define the vectors by using the difference of the angles. Now I'm not saying it is not possible to redo it using different angles, all I'm saying is they define b = (0,0,1) and a = (sin(alpha), 0, cos(alpha)), which clearly shows that we are using information about Bob's angle choice to define Alice's angle choice.
gill1109

Postby Joy Christian » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:50 am

Here, finally, is my version of Richard Gill's S^2 version of Michel Fodje's classic simulation:

http://rpubs.com/chenopodium/joychristian (with thanks to Chantal Roth).

Do scroll all the way down on the page to check out the second plot. What do you see?
Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby gill1109 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:29 am

Yes it is really beautiful! What I see:

You "create" two free parameters and by choosing them cleverly you get much closer to what you want. Joy/Chantal write

s <- (sin(theta)^1.32)/3.16

I had

s <- (sin(theta)^2)/2

Note: the formula I used was given to us by Joy Christian, I believe. Seems he was wrong, that time.

It's indeed a fun game. I hope Christian is now very glad that he is now very very close to the cosine.

It will be hard for anyone to prove that these two new numbers 1.32 and 3.16 are somehow universal properties of nature which follow from the S^3 theory. It will be hard for anyone to prove that the final curve definitely is not *exactly* the cosine, but obviously it cannot be, however "accurately" one determines 1.32 and 3.16 (though Joy will say, obviously it must be, because of his S^3 model).

I hope Joy now admits that all previous simulation models were somehow "wrong" and that Richard Gill and Chantal Roth together helped him to fix them. Using the very advanced programming language R.
gill1109

Postby Joy Christian » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:16 pm

So let us put some perspective on my version of Richard Gill's S^2 version of Michel Fodje's original simulation of my 3-sphere, or SU(2), model for the EPR-Bohm correlation.

As we can see from the details discussed in the above paper, my analytical model predicts the (negative) cosine correlation exactly. What is more, in Bell's local-realistic framework (discussed in his 1964 paper) we are completely free to choose whatever initial or complete state of the system we like. In the present representation of the 3-sphere this initial state is represented by the pair (e_o, theta_o), which are simply four numbers. These numbers depend on the system under consideration. They depend on the symmetry of the physical situation. For example, for the GHZ or Hardy case the initial state would be nothing like these four numbers.

Now have a look at the derivation of this state within my 3-sphere model. As we can see from just above the box of eq.(10), I had made a simple choice for the initial state by choosing the function f(theta_o) defined in eq.(7). This choice simply specifies the magnitude of the sum of the two initial quaternions, p_o and q_o, and thereby also specifies the initial state (e_o, theta_o). In Michel Fodje's simulation the choice I made for f(theta_o) seemed necessary and sufficient to produce the correct correlation. It now appears that when one zooms-in with greater precision, the initial state is in fact what has now been chosen in the latest simulation.

I am grateful to Richard Gill for insisting on greater precision for the simulation, which helped me discover a more accurate choice for the initial state (e_o, theta_o) in the EPR-Bohm case. I am also grateful to Chantal Roth for encouraging me to learn R and thus investigate Richard Gill's simulation myself. The result of my investigations is not devoid of beauty.
Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby gill1109 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Joy Christian wrote:I am grateful to Richard Gill for insisting on greater precision for the simulation, which helped me discover a more accurate choice for the initial state (e_o, theta_o) in the EPR-Bohm case. I am also grateful to Chantal Roth for encouraging me to learn R and thus investigate Richard Gill's simulation myself. The result of my investigations is not devoid of beauty.

Indeed not devoid of beauty, and getting very close, but not quite there yet. I have been discussing this with Chantal. What to tweak next? My suggestion is the lower bound to the radii of the caps. It's strange that it's such a funny angle, and I think this sharp cut-off explains the straightness of the correlation between 60 and 90 degrees.

I guess the word of thanks is the closest we are going to get to an acknowledgement by Christian that my criticism of earlier simulation models was justified. I wonder if Fred will also admit that he was wrong, too.

gill1109

PreviousNext

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations