Semiclassical model for the origin of mass

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

Semiclassical model for the origin of mass

Postby fogo57 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:36 pm

During the year 2013 I published two papers about the topic of Mass. The first one was motivated by a long term problem in Metrology, namely the establishment of an electronic standard for the kilogram. This paper shows how a superconductor electromechanical oscillating system ( the SEO) might be built, with a very high quality factor. The mass of the superconducting loop of the SEO might be obtained precisely from the measurement of the magnetic flux due to the currents around the loop, which is conserved. After writing this paper I undertook an investigation simply to check whether a simple quantization procedure ( in the lines following the Principle of Correspondende of Bohr) applied to the SEO system might produce results consistent with those from fundamental particles. The quantization procedure consisted in replacing the magnetic flux due to the currents by an integer number of magnetic flux quanta. The results were remarkably good, since quantitative agreement with data for the electron, the muon, and also the proton and neutron (considering the quarks) have been obtained. This is the object of the second paper.
I have since been able to associate these results to others. For instance, the SEO seems to be a semiclassical model for the zitterbewegung motion of an electron, as derived by K.Huang in a Amer.J.Phys paper of 1952. Furthermore, quarks confinement was modeled by Mandelstam, Nambu, tHooft, among others in the 1970s by means of vortex quantization, but in SU(3).
In reality, the effect of flux quantization in this particular problem seems so dominant that the maths needed was indeed very simple to obtain quantitative agreement.
I invite you to read these two papers, available in the link http://freepdfhosting.com/9c8805f119.pdf
Comments are welcome.
fogo57

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations