Please explain this

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

Please explain this

Postby RArvay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:28 am

I have no credentials as a scientist, only curiosity and a desire to better understand the physical world. Therefore, my question may seem off base, the babbling of a fool, or worse. I am hoping, however, that someone will take a moment to answer my foolish question.

It has to do with determinism. In my paltry understanding of cause-and-effect, event A always causes result B, or in more complex terms, A is a unique combination of causes, and B is a unique combination of effects.

One must conclude from this that from the earliest moment of the universe, all subsequent events in the universe were predetermined. The program, so to speak, has been launched, and it will run its inevitable course.

If I am correct thus far, then no person has any ability to change anything. Each of us is a puppet on a cosmic string, and to paraphrase Shakespeare, strutting our hour upon the stage, reciting our lines, all part of a tale told by an idiot.

If in turn this is true, then there is no science. JBS Haldane put it quite well when he said that our thoughts might be accurate neurologically, but otherwise we have no way of telling whether we are spot on correct, totally mistaken, or anywhere in between.

Quantum randomness would not resolve this issue, since randomness is as uncontrollable as is determinism.

The only way I see out of this dilemma is to consider the existence of conscious volition, our own sovereign agency as humans.

The late Marvin Minsky, genius and polymath, would have not only disagreed with me, but as he himself said, would do so in an insulting manner. He not only disavowed volition, but indeed, redefined consciousness as the interplay of various loci of data processing, not a thing unto itself. He came as close to claiming that consciousness does not exist, as I have ever seen competently put forth. In his stated view, there is no continuous individual, but only a series of, as it were, frames in a movie film.

My own view is different, but for now, I simply wish to understand why anyone would apply his efforts to science, when in effect, he believes himself to be a puppet of nature, or a component of a computerized algorithm.

Insults are welcome, but I am hoping for a clear explanation.

Thank you.
RArvay

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations