Bell's inequality refuted via elementary algebra

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

Re: Bell's inequality refuted via elementary algebra

Postby FrediFizzx » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:08 am

gill1109 wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:
gill1109 wrote:It's a great slogan:
FrediFizzx wrote:"Quantum mechanics is about real probability factors for real physical events"!

Real probability factors are what I would call "irreducible randomness".

Hmm... randomness that we can't reduce. I don't think probability factors are always necessarily about randomness. They can simply be about the lack of knowledge about certain processes.

Ah ha well that I think is the interesting question.

Lack of knowledge <-> hidden variables
Irreducible randomness <-> something new and shocking to physics and even incompatible with our inborn cognitive abilities (spooky!)

Lack of knowledge doesn't necessarily imply hidden variables. We don't know exactly what happens when a photon interacts with an electron but we know there is a probability factor of the square root of the fine structure constant involved. Particle physics is full of things like this. Most of the probability factors were deduced from scattering experiments.
FrediFizzx
Independent Physics Researcher

Postby Mikko » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:51 am

FrediFizzx wrote:Lack of knowledge doesn't necessarily imply hidden variables. We don't know exactly what happens when a photon interacts with an electron but we know there is a probability factor of the square root of the fine structure constant involved. Particle physics is full of things like this. Most of the probability factors were deduced from scattering experiments.

Lack of knowledge means that there is something unknown. This unknown can be called, in absence of better knowledge, a "hidden variable".
Mikko

Postby FrediFizzx » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:45 am

Mikko wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:Lack of knowledge doesn't necessarily imply hidden variables. We don't know exactly what happens when a photon interacts with an electron but we know there is a probability factor of the square root of the fine structure constant involved. Particle physics is full of things like this. Most of the probability factors were deduced from scattering experiments.

Lack of knowledge means that there is something unknown. This unknown can be called, in absence of better knowledge, a "hidden variable".

Well... what would be the "hidden" variable then when a photon interacts with an electron? And... don't tell me we don't know because it is hidden. Take a stab at what it might be.
FrediFizzx
Independent Physics Researcher

Previous

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations