A New Paper by Professor Karl Hess on Bell's Theorem

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

A New Paper by Professor Karl Hess on Bell's Theorem

Postby Joy Christian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:48 am

Professor Karl Hess has published a new paper on Bell's Theorem, entitled "Concepts of "local" and "nonlocal" in Bell's Theorem."

So far the paper has appeared only on Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Re ... 968db468eb

In the paper, Professor Hess proposes to classify local and nonlocal theories into the following four categories:

There is a nice discussion in the paper about the meaning and scope of these four categories, with examples of various known and less-known theories in physics.

Rather kindly, in his paper Professor Hess also mentions my work on Bell's theorem, citing the second edition of my book and my latest Royal Society paper:

As we can see, he is cautious about my local-realistic framework, and justifiably so. It is not easy to analyze the geometrical and topological subtleties of the 3- and 7-sphere on which my framework is based. However, in my view, my framework falls into Category 1, for the following reason. Within my framework the strong correlations are the consequences of the geometry and topology of the 3-sphere, S^3, taken as the physical space, with the 7-sphere, S^7, being its algebraic representation space. This is in addition to the experimenters' labeling of their data by unit vectors a, b, etc of some vector space. This would suggest that my framework should belong to Category 2 instead of Category 1. However, Alice and Bob need not be aware of the fact that we are living in the 3-sphere, S^3, or that its algebraic representation space is S^7. They can be --- and are in the actual experiments --- oblivious to S^3 and S^7 geometries. They simply collect and analyze the data in the usual local manner, and represent them in Bell’s local-realistic functions, as A(a, λ) = +/-1 and B(b, λ) = +/-1, respectively. My contention is that, if we assume that Alice and Bob are living in S^3 without their knowledge, then the calculations of the average of the product AB of their results A and B will automatically be -a.b. So, for the purposes of performing their experiment, collecting data, and analyzing that data, they do not in any way use the fact that they are living in S^3. That “additional information” is from "God's vantage point", as a way of understanding the puzzling strong correlations. Consequently, I believe that my framework belongs to Category 1 and not to Category 2.

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Re: A New Paper by Professor Karl Hess on Bell's Theorem

Postby gill1109 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:28 am

Thanks for posting this! There is already an interesting discussion evolving there on ResearchGate.
gill1109
Mathematical Statistician

Postby Joy Christian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 am

gill1109 wrote:
Thanks for posting this! There is already an interesting discussion evolving there on ResearchGate.

We should invite Professor Karl Hess as a speaker in the symposium. He has told me privately that he has read some chapters of my book as well as some sections of my Royal Society paper.

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby Heinera » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:13 am

gill1109 wrote:Thanks for posting this! There is already an interesting discussion evolving there on ResearchGate.

Interesting discussions indeed. It seems that there are at least a couple of "Bell-deniers" that are now clashing over the respective merits of their own proprietary LHV models. Also, it is interesting how the commenters are discussing and interpreting sentences in Bell's original 64-paper much like orthodox clerics are debating literal passages in the Bible.

If you understand the proof, you will never have to reference Bell's paper ever again. The proof is that simple.
Heinera

Postby Joy Christian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:19 am

Heinera wrote:
If you understand the proof, you will never have to reference Bell's paper ever again. The proof is that simple.

That is very true. The "proof" of Bell's claim is so mind-numbingly flawed that no one should ever refer to it at all. In fact, Bell's paper should be retracted from all of its published forms. :D

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby FrediFizzx » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:11 am

Joy Christian wrote:
Heinera wrote:

That is very true. The "proof" of Bell's claim is so mind-numbingly flawed that no one should ever refer to it at all. In fact, Bell's paper should be retracted from all of its published forms. :D

Proof? What proof? The "theorem" is a word theorem so there is no mathematical proof. The only "proof" I need is that it is mathematically impossible for anything to "violate" the inequalities.
FrediFizzx
Independent Physics Researcher

Postby Heinera » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:16 am

FrediFizzx wrote:Proof? What proof? The "theorem" is a word theorem so there is no mathematical proof. The only "proof" I need is that it is mathematically impossible for anything to "violate" the inequalities.

Which is exactly why Sashsa Vongehr published his Randi Quantum (c****pot) Challenge. No words. Only computer code. Still not met.
Heinera

Postby FrediFizzx » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:22 am

Heinera wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:Proof? What proof? The "theorem" is a word theorem so there is no mathematical proof. The only "proof" I need is that it is mathematically impossible for anything to "violate" the inequalities.

Which is exactly why Sashsa Vongehr published his Randi Quantum (c****pot) Challenge. No words. Only computer code. Still not met.

:mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: Only a fool would ever try to beat that rigged challenge. It does not prove the "theorem". It only proves that it is impossible to "violate" the inequalities as I have been saying.
FrediFizzx

Postby Joy Christian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:22 am

Heinera wrote:
...Sashsa Vongehr published his Randi Quantum (c****pot) Challenge.

Well said. The so-called "Randi Challenge" is indeed a "c****pot Challenge." It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with physics. It is just a fictitious junk. It is as good as a pink unicorn.

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby Heinera » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:36 am

Having read a bit more in the comment section, it is apparent that denial of Bell's theorem is a very thin membrane, that is almost immediately punctured. Every denier agrees that Bell was wrong, but they also have their own pet model that clearly shows how an LHV model would work, and thus end up in a wonderful disagreement. I can come up with at least a dozen Monty Python sketches that illustrate this perfectly.
Heinera

Postby Joy Christian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:40 am

Heinera wrote:
I can come up with at least a dozen Monty Python sketches that illustrate this perfectly.

Funnily enough, just one Monty Python sketch is enough for Bell's theorem itself --- it is "resting": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZw35VUBdzo.

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby Heinera » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Yes, yes, but still very entertaining.
Heinera

Postby FrediFizzx » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Heinera wrote:Yes, yes, but still very entertaining.

Anyways, we are still waiting for a mathematical proof of the "theorem". Guess what? There isn't one. :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
FrediFizzx

Postby Heinera » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:04 pm

FrediFizzx wrote: Only a fool would ever try to beat that rigged challenge.

That is correct. It is rigged because of Bell's theorem, which says it is impossible.
Heinera

Postby FrediFizzx » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:41 pm

Heinera wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote: Only a fool would ever try to beat that rigged challenge.

That is correct. It is rigged because of Bell's theorem, which says it is impossible.

No, it is rigged because of the inequality which is mathematically impossible to "violate". You are mixing up the theorem with the inequality.
FrediFizzx

Postby Heinera » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:19 pm

FrediFizzx wrote:No, it is rigged because of the inequality which is mathematically impossible to "violate". You are mixing up the theorem with the inequality.

That inequality is called Bell's inequality. That the Randi Quantum (c****pot) Challenge can't be won is called Bell's theorem. The challenge doesn't mention any inequality. The challenge is simply to reproduce the quantum correlations by simulation.
Heinera

Postby FrediFizzx » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:27 pm

The "theorem" is deduced from the inequality but Bell made a mistake in his deduction. We have already beaten the challenge. If you have an inequality that is mathematically impossible to "violate", then an immediate GIANT alarm bell should go off in your brain. How do the experiments and QM claim to violate it? It's simple. They don't use Bell's inequality. Neither do we when we beat the challenge.

For some unknown and weird reason, Bell fans don't have that alarm bell. :-)
FrediFizzx

Postby Joy Christian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Heinera wrote:
FrediFizzx wrote:No, it is rigged because of the inequality which is mathematically impossible to "violate". You are mixing up the theorem with the inequality.

That inequality is called Bell's inequality. That the Randi Quantum (c****pot) Challenge can't be won is called Bell's theorem. The challenge doesn't mention any inequality. The challenge is simply to reproduce the quantum correlations by simulation.

It is indeed a c****pot challenge because only c****pot believe in Bell's theorem.

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby FrediFizzx » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Heinera wrote:

The challenge certainly does use the inequality.
FrediFizzx

Postby Heinera » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:49 pm

FrediFizzx wrote:The challenge certainly does use the inequality.

The challenge is to reproduce the quantum correlations by simulation. There. Where did I say anything about an inequality?
Heinera

Next

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations