Need a half-angle identity if anybody knows one...

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

Need a half-angle identity if anybody knows one...

Postby Yablon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi all:

You will all know the trigonometric half-angle identity for .

Can someone please figure out, or does someone know, something similar for the following?

Either point to a trigonometry reference, or please show us how you get there. I am concerned about the body of the functions, more so than the signs.

Thanks,

Jay
Yablon
Independent Physics Researcher

Re: Need a half-angle identity if anybody knows one...

Postby Yablon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:10 pm

Yablon wrote:Hi all:

Can someone please figure out, or does someone know, something similar for the following?

Either point to a trigonometry reference, or please show us how you get there. I am concerned about the body of the functions, more so than the signs.

Thanks,

Jay

OK, what I derived from half angle formulas for sin, cos and tan, via cos^2 and sin^2, is the following:

I would have to say that the original expressions in this case are simpler than those with half angles. Anybody see anything else?

Jay
Yablon

Postby FrediFizzx » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:22 pm

Yablon wrote:
Yablon wrote:Hi all:

Thanks,

Jay

OK, what I derived from half angle formulas for sin, cos and tan, via cos^2 and sin^2, is the following:

I would have to say that the original expressions in this case are simpler than those with half angles. Anybody see anything else?

Jay

Mathematica gives for the first one,

And the second one,

FrediFizzx

Postby FrediFizzx » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:54 pm

FrediFizzx wrote:
Yablon wrote:OK, what I derived from half angle formulas for sin, cos and tan, via cos^2 and sin^2, is the following:

Jay

Mathematica gives for the first one,

And the second one,

Here is a spherical plot of the first one. The side you can't see is just a round sphere.

FrediFizzx

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations