Stephen Wolfram's new theory of everything

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

Re: Stephen Wolfram's new theory of everything

Postby JohnDuffield » Fri May 01, 2020 10:06 am

No Fred. Sorry, but I'm not spending any more time on this. I sent an email saying hello and got back a stock reply saying "we don't expect to allocate time to studying alternative theories". Alternative theories! When I'm the guy who's read the Einstein digital papers, and all the stuff by Schrodinger, Darwin, Born, Infeld, Maxwell, and others. They also said this: "If you think that your work directly informs what we're doing (e.g. maybe it gives us deeper mathematical insight into the limiting structure of the multiway causal graph, perhaps it provides us with a more precise understanding of the correspondence between our models and the holographic principle...". The holographic principle! I really do not take kindly to getting the brush-off from quacks. I started to formulate a reply, then thought, no, I'm not helping these people.
JohnDuffield

Postby FrediFizzx » Fri May 01, 2020 1:27 pm

John, well that is disappointing. I was curious as to what you found promising initially.
FrediFizzx
Independent Physics Researcher

Postby JohnDuffield » Sun May 03, 2020 7:54 am

FrediFizzx wrote:John, well that is disappointing. I was curious as to what you found promising initially.
It was starting with simplicity, asking the question What is space? and appreciating that energy is real.
JohnDuffield

Postby Joy Christian » Wed May 06, 2020 9:30 am

Physicists Criticize Stephen Wolfram’s ‘Theory of Everything’: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... verything/.

Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Postby jreed » Wed May 06, 2020 10:00 am

I purchased "A New Kind of Science", and read part of it. It seemed like a simple idea, involving a massive amount of computation with one dimensional cellular automata. This had been done before by other researchers, but not publicized to this extent. I think the best description of it I saw was someone said it would be a good high school science fair project. I didn't get very far into the book, but still have it. This new theory seems like just an application of it.
jreed

Postby FrediFizzx » Wed May 06, 2020 11:52 am

jreed wrote:I purchased "A New Kind of Science", and read part of it. It seemed like a simple idea, involving a massive amount of computation with one dimensional cellular automata. This had been done before by other researchers, but not publicized to this extent. I think the best description of it I saw was someone said it would be a good high school science fair project. I didn't get very far into the book, but still have it. This new theory seems like just an application of it.

Probably somewhat the right approach but with the wrong "points". The "points" are probably more point-like near Planck length and might be 7-spheres. So you need what the interactions between 7-spheres might be.
FrediFizzx
Independent Physics Researcher

Previous

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations