Experimentally-testable theory of quantum gravitation...

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

Experimentally-testable theory of quantum gravitation...

Postby Yablon » Fri May 01, 2020 10:58 am

Hello to all:

I hope everyone has been staying safe. I have spent the weeks since my last visit here researching and writing a new paper titled: Experimentally-testable theory of quantum gravitation and the Planck blackbody spectrum, based on Hawking black hole radiation, which you may obtain from: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _radiation.

Most significantly, I have proposed an experimental test of this theory which is very straightforward to carry out with suitable equipment to detect and count photons emitted at various energies from a heated blackbody.

Here is the abstract:

The Planck radiation of an ordinary blackbody cavity is shown to be synonymous with the Hawking radiation emitted by the innumerable Planck-scale black hole fluctuations in the quantum gravitational vacuum, as observed from temperatures many orders of magnitude removed from the intrinsic temperature of that vacuum. Using a “particle in a box” analysis, we find that all black holes including those in the vacuum have an “ultraviolet cutoff” just above ⅛ of the Wein displacement law wavelength peak whereby only wavelengths longer than this cutoff are emitted in the black hole Planck spectrum. It is further shown how when one uses temperature rather than energy to probe closer to the quantum gravitational vacuum, this cutoff ratio for black holes in the vacuum carries over invariantly to ordinary blackbody radiation because of the spatial measurement limitations of the position-momentum uncertainty principle. In this context, the uncertainty principle is seen as a macroscopic manifestation of the ultra-microscopic cutoffs of the black hole fluctuations in the vacuum. So, whereas Planck’s spectral law predicts that for every 245.61 billion photons observed near the Wein peak there will on average be one photon observed near this cutoff, it is predicted here that there are no photons at all emitted below this cutoff. This complete ultraviolet cutoff of these wavelengths below about ⅛ of the Wein peak – not merely a very-steep numbers reduction – leads to a proposed photon-counting experiment which may be performed to contradict or fail to contradict these results.

I look forward to any feedback you may have, and I am planning to submit this for peer review and publication in the near future.

Best to all,

Jay
Yablon
Independent Physics Researcher

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations