General relativistic quantum mechanics

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

General relativistic quantum mechanics

Postby Yablon » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:28 am

Hello to all:

The past day or so I finished revision of by paper in quantum gravitation. It is shorter, more compact, and far clearer (both for a reader and to me) than what I posted at the start of May. It is titled "General relativistic quantum mechanics based on Hawking radiation in the quantum gravitational vacuum, and its proposed experimental test." You may also download it from https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ental_test.

To me, quantum foundations includes the very fundamental question whether quantum mechanics is the foundation of general relativity and gravitation, or general relativity and gravitation are the foundation of quantum mechanics. My conclusion in this paper is the latter. Specifically, I find there that the spatial resolution limitations imposed by the position-momentum uncertainty principle originate from the general theory of relativity under conditions of maximal spacetime curvature where event horizons inherently limit what can be observed, at the very shortest Planck-scale distances in nature, in the quantum gravitational, geometrodynamic vacuum first elaborated by J. A. Wheeler in 1957.

Most importantly I propose a new experiment to support this: I first predict that there is an ultraviolet cutoff in the Planck blackbody radiation spectrum at about 1/8 of the Wein peak wavelength, rooted in the Hawking radiation of the myriad of black hole fluctuations in the gravitational vacuum. And based on this, I propose a photon-counting experiment which could be used to prove or disprove this. Specifically, whereas Planck’s law predicts there will on average be one photon observed near this 1/8-peak cutoff for every 245.61 billion photons observed near the Wein-peak wavelength, I am predicting that no photons at all are emitted below this cutoff . If the experiment succeeds -- and I would just about bet the farm that it will -- then this will establish that quantum mechanics does spring from general relativity and not the other way around.

I would be very happy to get your thoughts and feedback. And if you know of anyone (including yourself or your institution) who can equip to perform this experiment, that would be wonderful as well.

Best to all and keep staying safe!

Jay
Yablon
Independent Physics Researcher

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations