Bell's theorem refuted via elementary probability theory

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

Re: Bell's theorem refuted via elementary probability theory

Postby gill1109 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:09 pm

Gordon Watson wrote:3. I suspect that minkwe has in mind my claim (against Bell) that Bell's results do NOT commute.** That is, correcting Bell's first error— ie, his erroneous move from Bell 1964:(14a) to Bell 1964:(14b) — we have:

4. This Bellian error is confirmed and corrected in my refutation of BI — Bell 1964:(15) — via high-school math. So it would be helpful if you could show me, via my high-school math, what Bellian assumption I have overlooked.

5. I suspect it must be his naive-realism. But, in 1964, even I was old enough to reject such a silly belief! So surely my suspicion is false and you have better explanation?

** Edit: Remember, EPRB is a quantum experiment and quantum observables do NOT necessarily commute. ME HERE trusting that "non-commuting" is an OK wording for what Bell neglects. Some might prefer, with me, to say that the EPRB results are pairwise-bound?

Thanks; Gordon

In quantum theory there are things called observables which are represented by Hilbert space operators and which do not necessarily commute. Bell’s A(a, lambda) etc are not observables. They are numbers. They are the numbers +/-1.

I think you don’t understand Bell’s intention, because it seems you agree with him: local realism conflicts with quantum mechanics. That’s what Bell’s theorem shows. You have understood the mathematical reason that Bell’s proofs work. Congratulations! You are a Bell believer.

Bell does not believe in “naïeve realism”. He shows that it is untenable. Einstein disappointed, Bohr delighted.
gill1109
Mathematical Statistician

Postby minkwe » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:23 pm

gill1109 wrote:In quantum theory there are things called observables which are represented by Hilbert space operators and which do not necessarily commute. Bell’s A(a, lambda) etc are not observables. They are numbers. They are the numbers +/-1.

That's a very narrow perspective. Commutation in QM is a specialization of a more general concept about the importance of the order of operations -- these operations don't have to be associated with QM operators at all. It could be any operation. For example, the operations: X= putting on shoes and Y= putting on socks, are non-commutative because the order matters for the final result. This has nothing to do with QM.

Similarly, though the measurement functions A(a, lambda), A(b, lambda), A(c, lambda) result in simple numbers (+/-1), for a particle pair in the EPRB experiment, the three measurements A(a, lambda), A(b, lambda), A(c, lambda) do not commute because particles are destroyed by measurement, thus only two of them can be defined for any particle pair. Including all three within a mathematical expression is therefore highly suspect and results in gibberish.
minkwe

Postby gill1109 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:03 pm

minkwe wrote:
gill1109 wrote:In quantum theory there are things called observables which are represented by Hilbert space operators and which do not necessarily commute. Bell’s A(a, lambda) etc are not observables. They are numbers. They are the numbers +/-1.

That's a very narrow perspective. Commutation in QM is a specialization of a more general concept about the importance of the order of operations -- these operations don't have to be associated with QM operators at all. It could be any operation. For example, the operations: X= putting on shoes and Y= putting on socks, are non-commutative because the order matters for the final result. This has nothing to do with QM.

Similarly, though the measurement functions A(a, lambda), A(b, lambda), A(c, lambda) result in simple numbers (+/-1), for a particle pair in the EPRB experiment, the three measurements A(a, lambda), A(b, lambda), A(c, lambda) do not commute because particles are destroyed by measurement, thus only two of them can be defined for any particle pair. Including all three within a mathematical expression is therefore highly suspect and results in gibberish.

Michel, what you say is badly expressed and your conclusion is wrong. You fell for a well known, classic, misunderstanding. ‘A(a, lambda)’ is not a “measurement”. It’s a “measurement result”. It’s a number. It is +1 or it could be -1. ‘A’ is a function. ‘a’ is a number (of degrees) or a label “1” or “2” on a switch. Do read Bell’s careful response to critics just like you here: http://www.sciphysicsforums.com/spfbb1/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=441&start=20#p12423
I spent a lot of time typing this out yesterday precisely for people like you and Gordon and Fred.
gill1109

Postby Gordon Watson » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:43 am

Richard,

1. It would help if you'd point to my high-school math (which refutes Bell's inequality) and show where I depart from Bell's assumptions. For CHSH-variants fall to similar analysis.

2. Please confirm the CHSH inequality that you want to advance here.

3. Does it hold for EPRB with spin-half particles?

4. Does it hold for Aspect (2002), with photons? (Which appeared on arXiv in 2004.)

5. Under what conditions do you need to vary it? Example, drop the absolute brackets?

Thanks; Gordon
Gordon Watson

Postby gill1109 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:18 am

Gordon Watson wrote:1. It would help if you'd point to my high-school math (which refutes Bell's inequality) and show where I depart from Bell's assumptions. For CHSH-variants fall to similar analysis.

You departed from Bell’s working assumption (local realism) by denying that the numbers A(a, lambda) etc., = +/- 1, commute under multiplication. The existence of those numbers follows from the assumption of local realism. Bell shows that the assumption is untenable. Something which you apparently agree with. You agree with Bell.

Gordon Watson wrote:2. Please confirm the CHSH inequality that you want to advance here.

One correlation minus the sum of three others lies between -2 and +2. (Altogether, that makes 8 one-sided inequalities). Under local realism, all 8 will hold.

Alice and Bob each choose between two settings. So there are four combinations of a setting of Alice and a setting of Bob.

The measurement outcomes take the values +/-1, the “correlation” is the average of the product of the outcomes.

Gordon Watson wrote:3. Does it hold for EPRB with spin-half particles?

Depends on the settings. There are choices of angles for Alice and Bob such that one of the 8 inequalities does not hold.

Gordon Watson wrote:4. Does it hold for Aspect (2002), with photons? (Which appeared on arXiv in 2004.)

You mean this paper? https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0402001. Aspect here reports on his 1981, 1982 papers which exhibited violation of the CHSH inequality.

Gordon Watson wrote:5. Under what conditions do you need to vary it? Example, drop the absolute brackets?

I don’t know what you mean. There are different ways to say the same thing. I don’t need to vary anything.

Since for binary (+/-1 valued) variables “correlation” = prob(equal) - prob(unequal) where prob(equal) + prob(unequal) = 1 there are lots of ways to rewrite the inequality. Since there should be no-signalling we will have P(A|a b1) = P(A|a b2) = P(A) so one can rewrite the 8 one-sided CHSH inequalities in numerous ways. Doing that, one can also recover Eberhard’s inequality, and another inequality called the CH inequality.

These different variants can be useful in various circumstances for statistical reasons (smaller sampling error...).

According to A. Fine (1982), the 8 one-sided CHSH inequalities and the four no-signalling equalities are necessary and sufficient for an LHV model to exactly describe the 16 probabilities P(xy|ab) of a Bell experiment (2 parties, each with two settings, each for a measurement with 2 outcomes).
gill1109

Postby minkwe » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:40 am

gill1109 wrote:Michel, what you say is badly expressed and your conclusion is wrong. You fell for a well known, classic, misunderstanding. ‘A(a, lambda)’ is not a “measurement”. It’s a “measurement result”. It’s a number.

Nope, I didn't! You are playing semantic games. ‘A(a, lambda)’ is a function that represents an operation that corresponds to the measurement in the physical context. The outcome of that measurement during a specific realisation of the operation with a specific value of "a" and a specific value of "lambda" is a number. Just because the notation A(a, lambda) is used to represent the result of the measurement does not mean it is a number. Numbers do not take variables. You should know this. This is not controversial at all.
minkwe

Postby Gordon Watson » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:35 pm

Richard,

Please provide your "CHSH" inequalities for EPRB [Bell (1964)] and Aspect's paper https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0402001.

Also the related angles that most clearly make your case.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Watson on Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon Watson

Postby Gordon Watson » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:03 pm

gill1109 wrote:
Gordon Watson wrote:1. It would help if you'd point to my high-school math (which refutes Bell's inequality) and show where I depart from Bell's assumptions. For CHSH-variants fall to similar analysis.

You departed from Bell’s working assumption (local realism) by denying that the numbers A(a, lambda) etc., = +/- 1, commute under multiplication. The existence of those numbers follows from the assumption of local realism. Bell shows that the assumption is untenable. Something which you apparently agree with. You agree with Bell.

1. Via my use of English: if I agree with Bell, then Bell agrees with me??

2. I take it that you and I and Bell agree that LOCALITY means the same as RELATIVISTIC-CAUSALITY?

3. If not, please let me have your and Bell's definition of LOCALITY.

4. How does Bell define REALISM?

5. Does Bell ever use the phrase "LOCAL REALISM"

6. If so, does anything change [perhaps subtly] when Bell uses the combination "LOCAL REALISM"?
Gordon Watson

Postby Gordon Watson » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:12 pm

gill1109 wrote:
According to A. Fine (1982), the 8 one-sided CHSH inequalities and the four no-signalling equalities are necessary and sufficient for an LHV model to exactly describe the 16 probabilities P(xy|ab) of a Bell experiment (2 parties, each with two settings, each for a measurement with 2 outcomes).

What is the title of this paper? Do you have a link?
Gordon Watson

Postby gill1109 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:44 pm

minkwe wrote:
gill1109 wrote:Michel, what you say is badly expressed and your conclusion is wrong. You fell for a well known, classic, misunderstanding. ‘A(a, lambda)’ is not a “measurement”. It’s a “measurement result”. It’s a number.

Nope, I didn't! You are playing semantic games. ‘A(a, lambda)’ is a function that represents an operation that corresponds to the measurement in the physical context. The outcome of that measurement during a specific realisation of the operation with a specific value of "a" and a specific value of "lambda" is a number. Just because the notation A(a, lambda) is used to represent the result of the measurement does not mean it is a number. Numbers do not take variables. You should know this. This is not controversial at all.

Numbers do not take variables. Functions take variables.

A is a function from the Cartesian product of settings and hidden variable realisations to the set {-1, +1}, a subset of the real numbers.
A(a, lambda) is a number.
A(.,.) is a function.
Together with a probability measure rho we have a purely mathematical model. One can investigate its use in physics, or in computer science, or anywhere else.

Read Bell chapter 8 (two pages), reproduced here: http://www.sciphysicsforums.com/spfbb1/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=441&start=20#p12423. It’s really good. Fred found it for us.
Last edited by gill1109 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
gill1109

Postby gill1109 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:06 am

Gordon Watson wrote:Richard,

Please provide your "CHSH" inequalities for EPRB [Bell (1964)] and Aspect's paper https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0402001.

Gordon

You can find everything on Wikipedia. Or you could read some of my own papers.

EPR-B is a model in quantum mechanics discussed by Bohm and Aharonov.

Bell had a three correlation inequality in his ‘64 paper, with the further assumption of a fourth correlation being equal to -1. Problem is, if you do an experiment, you won’t see exactly -1. CHSH came up with a four correlation inequality which could in principle be useful in real experiments, in experiments where you don’t exactly recover the singlet correlations. Later, Eberhard came up with another inequality which is useful for less than maximally entangled states, which paradoxically can facilitate stronger experiments.

Read “Speakable and unspeakable” from cover to cover, to see how Bell’s thinking matured and evolved over the years. Chapter 8 is a two page “reply to critics”. I wrote it out for us all, here: http://www.sciphysicsforums.com/spfbb1/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=441&start=20#p12423. It’s really good. Fred found it for us.
Last edited by FrediFizzx on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal comment deleted
gill1109

Postby Gordon Watson » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:35 am

gill1109 wrote:
Gordon Watson wrote:Richard,

Gordon

You can find everything on Wikipedia. Or you could read some of my own papers.

EPR-B is a model in quantum mechanics discussed by Bohm and Aharonov.

Bell had a three correlation inequality in his ‘64 paper, with the further assumption of a fourth correlation being equal to -1. Problem is, if you do an experiment, you won’t see exactly -1. CHSH came up with a four correlation inequality which could in principle be useful in real experiments, in experiments where you don’t exactly recover the singlet correlations. Later, Eberhard came up with another inequality which is useful for less than maximally entangled states, which paradoxically can facilitate stronger experiments.

Read “Speakable and unspeakable” from cover to cover, to see how Bell’s thinking matured and evolved over the years. Chapter 8 is a two page “reply to critics”. I wrote it out for us all, here: http://www.sciphysicsforums.com/spfbb1/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=441&start=20#p12423. It’s really good. Fred found it for us.

I've done my homework. Now I'm attempting to have you do yours. You've avoided the high-school math that refutes BI: Bell 1964:(15). So, for a new demonstration, I sought your commitment to a CHSH inequality for EPRB or Aspect (2004) or similar; with the angles that best make your point.

Failing that, I'll now go with the Larsson-Gill paper (2004) on https://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0103028.pdf, But what angles do you prefer?

That is: (a,c) = ? (a,d) = ? (b,c) = ? (b,d) = ? For, as with my refutation of BI, my demo will cover 0 < (a,d) < π: and I'd like to include your preferred angle-combination therein.

Also: which of your papers (with links, please) are you recommending?
Gordon Watson

Postby gill1109 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:00 am

Gordon Watson wrote:I've done my homework. Now I'm attempting to have you do yours. You've avoided the high-school math that refutes BI: Bell 1964:(15). So, for a new demonstration, I sought your commitment to a CHSH inequality for EPRB or Aspect (2004) or similar; with the angles that best make your point.

Failing that, I'll now go with the Larsson-Gill paper (2004) on https://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0103028.pdf, But what angles do you prefer?

That is: (a,c) = ? (a,d) = ? (b,c) = ? (b,d) = ? For, as with my refutation of BI, my demo will cover 0 < (a,d) < π: and I'd like to include your preferred angle-combination therein.

Also: which of your papers (with links, please) are you recommending?

Gordon, I have not avoided your "high school math". I've pointed out where it goes wrong, and so did Michel too. You totally misunderstand Bell. You should read his book "Speakable and Unspeakable" carefully, from cover to cover. You can do it over the Christmas and New Year break.

For EPR-B a good set of angles is 0 and 90 degrees for Alice, and 45 and 135 for Bob. The four absolute values of differences are then 45, 45, 45 and 135, giving, according to the negative cosine, three correlations of - sqrt 2 / 2 and one of + sqrt 2 / 2. See my paper on Gull's proof of Bell's theorem,

https://arxiv.org/abs/2012.00719
Gull's theorem revisited
Richard D. Gill, Dilara Karakozak

Hopefully you've heard of Tsirelson's bound. What is the best that QM can do in terms of violation of CHSH? Answer: 2 sqrt 2. With the singlet state and the four spin measurements I just described. And that is essentially the only way to get 2 sqrt 2, up to unitary transformations on each side and embedding a small Hilbert space in a larger one.

Larsson and Gill (2004) is about the coincidence loophole. You do not want to read that paper, unless you are interested in the whole loopholes question.

For some papers by me on Bell's theorem in general, see

https://arxiv.org/abs/1207.5103
Statistics, Causality and Bell's Theorem
Statistical Science 2014, Vol. 29, No. 4, 512-528
DOI: 10.1214/14-STS490

and

https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0301059
Time, Finite Statistics, and Bell's Fifth Position
pp. 179-206 in: Proc. of "Foundations of Probability and Physics - 2",
Ser. Math. Modelling in Phys., Engin., and Cogn. Sc., vol. 5/2002,
Växjö Univ. Press, 2003
gill1109

Postby Gordon Watson » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:32 pm

For Richard Gill and other Bellians: CHSH-Bell refuted via high-school math.

A brief draft: To be included as Appendix II when https://vixra.org/pdf/2011.0073v1.pdf -- Watson 2020M.v1 -- is revised. E&OE.

6. Appendix II

Via http://cds.cern.ch/record/400330/files/CM-P00058691.pdf, eqn (4.5), we have:

The CHSH-Bell inequality: (1)

However, from my (32); say WI-1: (2)

Similary: (3)

Therefore, inserting (2) and (3) into LHS (1), we have:

WI-2: (4)

So WI-1 refutes Bell's inequality, BI, 1964:(15). And WI-2 refutes the CHSH-Bell inequality.

Note, consistent with TLR: the results here require no assumptions beyond Bell's (1964) equations (1), LHS (2) with RHS (3). And high-school math.

Contrarily: CHSH-Bell is based on four occasions where the pairwise-binding of EPRB observables is missed or ignored.

QED.
Last edited by Gordon Watson on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon Watson

Postby minkwe » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:23 pm

gill1109 wrote:Numbers do not take variables. Functions take variables.

A is a function from the Cartesian product of settings and hidden variable realisations to the set {-1, +1}, a subset of the real numbers.
A(a, lambda) is a number.
A(.,.) is a function.

:lol:
minkwe

Postby gill1109 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Gordon Watson wrote:For Richard Gill and other Bellians: CHSH-Bell refuted via high-school math.

A brief draft: To be included as Appendix II when https://vixra.org/pdf/2011.0073v1.pdf -- Watson 2020M.v1 -- is revised. E&OE.

6. Appendix II

Via http://cds.cern.ch/record/400330/files/CM-P00058691.pdf, eqn (4.5), we have:

So WI-1 refutes Bell's inequality, BI, 1964:(15). And WI-2 refutes the CHSH-Bell inequality.

Note, consistent with TLR: the results here require no assumptions beyond Bell's (1964) equations (1), LHS (2) with RHS (3). And high-school math.

Contrarily: CHSH-Bell is based on four occasions where the pairwise-binding of EPRB observables is missed or ignored.

QED.

Why do you say there’s a contradiction? And where’s the justification of (2 and (3)? I don’t like (1) because it’s too complicated. I think it’s wrong. I prefer something one can develop some feeling for like r(11) </= 2 + r(12) + r(22) + r(21) where r(ab) stands for the correlation when Alice uses her setting number "a" and Bib uses his setting number "b". By flipping the sign of one or the other of the party's outcomes, by exchanging Alice's "1" and "2", and independently exchanging Bob's "1" and "2", and exchanging Alice for Bob, one obtains exactly 8 distinct one-sided CHSH inequalities. See Fine (1982). Together with 4 no-signalling equalities, necessary and sufficient for a local realist model for the 16 probabilities p(xy|ab).
gill1109

Postby Gordon Watson » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:16 pm

gill1109 wrote:
Gordon Watson wrote:For Richard Gill and other Bellians: CHSH-Bell refuted via high-school math.

6. Appendix II

QED.

Why do you say there’s a contradiction? And where’s the justification of (2 and (3)? I don’t like (1) because it’s too complicated. I think it’s wrong. I prefer something one can develop some feeling for like r(11) </= 2 + r(12) + r(22) + r(21) where r(ab) stands for the correlation when Alice uses her setting number "a" and Bib uses his setting number "b". By flipping the sign of one or the other of the party's outcomes, by exchanging Alice's "1" and "2", and independently exchanging Bob's "1" and "2", and exchanging Alice for Bob, one obtains exactly 8 distinct one-sided CHSH inequalities. See Fine (1982). Together with 4 no-signalling equalities, necessary and sufficient for a local realist model for the 16 probabilities p(xy|ab).

Where do I say there's a contradiction? Are you comparing my (4) with Bell's effort, as documented in (1)? That's a refutation. The one (mine) never false, the other (being Bellian) often so. Why not test both with your favored angles?

The justification for (2) is (32) from the draft https://vixra.org/pdf/2011.0073v1.pdf that I linked to.

Let's see if you can get to (3) similarly, as I wrote.

I asked you to nominate your favoured Bell-inequality and the related angles that best illustrate the point you want to make. You did not. So I went for CHSH-Bell, see Bell's book (1987:35) that you alluded to. NOW you say you "don’t like (1) because it’s too complicated. You think it’s wrong." Too complicated for you: OK. But it's a famous Bellian inequality, so of course it's wrong. That's why I refute and correct it with high-school math.

Incidentally, I have not found you alleged critique of my similar "high-school" refutation of Bell's famous 1964:(15). I asked your for help to find it. Does it exist?

The rest of your comment seems panicked and irrelevant. Let's deal with the facts at hand: Using nothing but Bell's 1964:(1) and high-school math, I refute the two most famous Bellian inequalities.

[I then use (though I've not carried on and done that here) Bell's (1964) equations, LHS (2) with RHS (3), to show that my inequalities are never false. Because, of course, unlike Bell: my results are consistent with QM.]

PS: Since you offer no critique of my "high-school" math here, please provide such, or point me to it elsewhere. You did imply that the critique was in this thread. Right?

Thanks.
Gordon Watson

Postby gill1109 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:34 pm

Gordon Watson wrote:
gill1109 wrote:

6. Appendix II

QED.

Where do I say there's a contradiction? Are you comparing my (4) with Bell's effort, as documented in (1)? That's a refutation. The one (mine) never false, the other (being Bellian) often so. Why not test both with your favored angles?

The justification for (2) is (32) from the draft https://vixra.org/pdf/2011.0073v1.pdf that I linked to.

I asked you to nominate your favoured Bell-inequality and the related angles that best illustrate the point you want to make. You did not. So I went for CHSH-Bell, see Bell's book (1987:35) that you alluded to. NOW you say you "don’t like (1) because it’s too complicated. You think it’s wrong." Too complicated for you: OK. But it's a famous Bellian inequality, so of course it's wrong. That's why I refute and correct it with high-school math.

Incidentally, I have not found you alleged critique of my similar "high-school" refutation of Bell's famous 1964:(15). I asked your for help to find it. Does it exist?

The rest of your comment seems panicked and irrelevant. Let's deal with the facts at hand: Using nothing but Bell's 1964:(1) and high-school math, I refute the two most famous Bellian inequalities.

[I then use (though I've not carried on and done that here) Bell's (1964) equations, LHS (2) with RHS (3), to show that my inequalities are never false. Because, of course, unlike Bell: my results are consistent with QM.]

PS: Since you offer no critique of my "high-school" math here, please provide such, or point me to it elsewhere. You did imply that the critique was in this thread. Right?

Thanks.

Gordon, you derive some inequalities which are always true. Bell derived an inequality under certain special assumptions. His inequality is violated by some quantum mechanical predictions. Bell’s conclusion is that the assumptions he made in order to derive his inequalities must be false. You agree with him. You called his assumptions “naïeve”. Niels Bohr would have agreed with you, as Bell himself pointed out.

I don’t like the version of CHSH with absolute values. |x| has to be read as “x if x > 0 and otherwise -x”. The form I give the inequalities - as a collection of 8 simple intuitive one-sided inequalities - is cleaner, it’s equivalent, it’s more powerful (necessary and sufficient conditions), it goes back to Boole’s N&SC in his magnum opus (the foundation of Boolean logic and elementary probability theory). It generalises to the case of experiments with more settings, more parties, more outcomes. The local polytope. https://arxiv.org/abs/1207.5103. Generalised Bell inequalities.
gill1109

Postby Gordon Watson » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:43 am

gill1109 wrote:
Gordon Watson wrote:
gill1109 wrote:

6. Appendix II

QED.

Thanks.

Gordon, you derive some inequalities which are always true. Bell derived an inequality under certain special assumptions. His inequality is violated by some quantum mechanical predictions. Bell’s conclusion is that the assumptions he made in order to derive his inequalities must be false. You agree with him. You called his assumptions “naïeve”. Niels Bohr would have agreed with you, as Bell himself pointed out.

I don’t like the version of CHSH with absolute values. |x| has to be read as “x if x > 0 and otherwise -x”. The form I give the inequalities - as a collection of 8 simple intuitive one-sided inequalities - is cleaner, it’s equivalent, it’s more powerful (necessary and sufficient conditions), it goes back to Boole’s N&SC in his magnum opus (the foundation of Boolean logic and elementary probability theory). It generalises to the case of experiments with more settings, more parties, more outcomes. The local polytope. https://arxiv.org/abs/1207.5103. Generalised Bell inequalities.

TOWARD SOME PRELIMINARY CLARIFICATIONS IN RELATION TO BELL AND GILL (2014):

(1) What statement (with source) does Bohr make that agrees with my position (as seen by you)?

(2) What statement did Bell make about Bohr's statement; ie, what did Bell point out?

(3) In Gill (2014:1) you say that "Bell's theorem should lead us to relinquish realism." What definition and implications of "realism" are you relying upon here? Please be expansive so that I might understand remarks like those on p.3 of your 2014.

(4) I expect to have quite a bit to say about your 2014. Are there any points there that you no longer maintain?

(5) Does Bell give any reasons for not relinquishing this "realism"?

(6) I ask because, in the following statements (per my draft, first page) from 1990 and 1964, Bell makes no mention of realism:

After Bell (1990):

p.5: ‘I cannot say that action at a distance (AAD is required in physics. But I can say that you cannot get way with no AAD. You cannot separate off what happens in one place and what happens in another. Somehow they have to be described and explained jointly.’ p.6: ‘The Einstein program fails, that’s too bad for Einstein, but should we worry about that? So what? ... it might be that we have to learn to accept not so much AAD, but the inadequacy of no AAD.’ p.7: ‘And that is the dilemma. We are led by analysing this situation to admit that in somehow distant things are connected, or at least not disconnected. ... So the connections have to be very subtle, and I have told you all that I know about them.’ p.9: ‘It’s my feeling that all this AAD and no AAD business will go the same way [as the ether]. But someone will come up with the answer, with a reasonable way of looking at these things. If we are lucky it will be to some big new development like the theory of relativity. Maybe someone will just point out that we were being rather silly, and it won’t lead to a big new development. But anyway, I believe the questions will be resolved.’ p.10: ‘I think somebody will find a way of saying that [relativity and QM] are compatible. For me it’s very hard to put them together, but I think somebody will put them together, and we’ll just see that my imagination was too limited.’ p.12: ‘I don’t know any conception of locality that works with QM. So I think we’re stuck with nonlocality.’ p.13: ‘... I step back from asserting that there is AAD, and I say only that you cannot get away with locality. You cannot explain things by events in their neighbourhood. But I am careful not to assert that there is AAD.’

Bell (1964):

‘In a theory in which parameters are added to quantum mechanics to determine the results of individual measurements, without changing the statistical predictions, there must be a mechanism whereby the setting of one measuring device can influence the reading of another instrument, however remote. Moreover, the signal involved must propagate instantaneously, so that such a theory could not be Lorentz invariant.’

(7) So, seeking to be very clear: why would Bell hold these views AGAINST the "realism" that you have yet to clarify for me?

PS: As Bell half-expected, true local realism (TLR) solves or revolves all of Bell's difficulties.

EDIT: I do not recall saying that Bell's assumptions are “naïeve”. I defined true realism (or non-naive realism): some existents change interactively.
Gordon Watson

Postby gill1109 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:42 am

Gordon Watson wrote:TOWARD SOME PRELIMINARY CLARIFICATIONS IN RELATION TO BELL AND GILL (2014):
(1) What statement (with source) does Bohr make that agrees with my position (as seen by you)?
(2) What statement did Bell make about Bohr's statement; ie, what did Bell point out?

Read section 5 (“Envoi”) of “Bertlmann’s socks”. Bell starts this section writing “By way of conclusion I will comment on four possible conclusions which might be taken”. The fourth position is what Bell says would have been Bohr’s position: Bell summarises this as “there is no ‘reality’ below some classical macroscopic level”.

I am not a scholar of the works of Niels Bohr, so I will not answer your question (1). Above, in my answer to your question (2), I have told you what Bell made of Bohr’s position.

Gordon Watson wrote:(3) In Gill (2014:1) you say that "Bell's theorem should lead us to relinquish realism." What definition and implications of "realism" are you relying upon here? Please be expansive so that I might understand remarks like those on p.3 of your 2014.
(4) I expect to have quite a bit to say about your 2014. Are there any points there that you no longer maintain?

I stand by the contents of my 2014 paper. By “realism” I mean counterfactual definiteness, which is a property classical mathematical physical models tend to have: they allow us to define, alongside of the outcomes of the experiments actually performed, also outcomes of experiments which could have been performed instead. Deterministic models have this property. Also non deterministic, as long as any randomness is local.

Gordon Watson wrote:(5) Does Bell give any reasons for not relinquishing this "realism"?

“Local realism” is a property of all of classical physics prior to quantum theory. It is close to everyone’s subjective (intuitive, instinctive) feelings about how inanimate reality is. So naturally, there is reluctance to abandon it. Many people find it so intuitive that they feel it is axiomatic, it is part of the ground level assumptions needed to do physics. For these reasons, Bell has been misunderstood and his findings denied for more than 50 years now.

Bell discovered four good reasons why realism might have to be relinquished: (1) the violation of the CHSH inequality by quantum mechanics, (2) its violation by experimental data, (3) the failures of all attempts to combine quantum theory and relativity, and (4) the failure of all attempts to resolve the measurement problem (Schrödinger cat problem). He does however see the possibility of relinquishing locality instead, and keeping realism. He found that less unappetising. There are several avenues available which do just that, and Bell was intensely interested in them. The CSL (continuous spontaneous localisation) approach whereby a non-linear stochastic disturbance term is added to Schrödinger’s equation, and the Bohmian approach taking de Broglie’s pilot wave theory further, and reproducing conventional QM predictions *exactly*. He was not keen on superdeterminism or retro-causality, though these “conspiratorial” solutions are coming back into fashion. That tells you that the problems which Bell saw are as big today as ever before; in fact, probably bigger than ever before. There has been 50 years of stagnation. While quantum technology (e.g. loophole free Bell experiments; experiments which actually rule out some collapse theories; Wigner’s friend experiments; ...) just keeps on telling us that quantum theory as even weirder than it first seemed).

Gordon Watson wrote:(6) I ask because, in the following statements (per my draft, first page) from 1990 and 1964, Bell makes no mention of realism [... many statements of Bell, not using the word “local” ...]
(7) So, seeking to be very clear: why would Bell hold these views AGAINST the "realism" that you have yet to clarify for me?

Bell’s modelling of the EPR-B experiment, with functions A(a, lambda) and B(b, lambda), allows one to define outcomes of all possible spin measurements alongside of the measurements actually done. This model has the property of counterfactual definiteness. It is “local” because Bob’s measurement choice does not effect Alice’s outcome.
gill1109

PreviousNext

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations