On the recent "loophole-free" experiments

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues

On the recent "loophole-free" experiments

Postby local » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Please see:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=457&p=12071#p12069

To keep that thread on topic I respond here.

gill1109 wrote: I don't find any of the four experiments of 2015 (Delft, Munich, Vienna, NIST) "convincing" as "experimental disproof of local realism".

And there you have it guys! All the experiments are either debunked or unconvincing. One wouldn't have guessed that from Richard's repeated touting of these experiments. He certainly did so in an attempt to refute Graft's local realistic analysis and elsewhere in the forum.

I appreciate your honesty, Richard. I don't care how innovative a piece of nonsense is, but we are all entitled to our own tastes. I guess that Nobel prize is still just a dream.

One last thing. If you ever do find an experiment that is not easily debunked and is convincing to you, Graft and I will be happy to analyze it, provided that the full raw data is available (not postselected or processed in any way). Consider the request for such an experiment to be the 'Experimental Randi Challenge (ERC)'.
local

Re: On the recent "loophole-free" experiments

Postby gill1109 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:48 pm

“Local”: you and Donald Graft may consider all four of those experiments debunked, but I don’t. I’m looking forward to seeing them improved. I’m afraid it probably is not very high on any group’s experimental agenda, since right now it costs a great deal of resources. One needs also to come up with serious innovations in order to get a PhD project in engineering physics through to completion in a decent university. The future career of several young people depends on a whole lot of work of a whole team. The existence of the team depends on it producing a continual stream of research products. The tax payer ultimately is paying for expensive facilities and many salaries.

However, as long as people like you keep publishing biting criticism, there is impetus to do a “replication study”. And with ongoing technical improvements it might eventually be an experiment you can do in a network of high-school labs. So: keep up the good work! Bad science must be debunked.

Delft believes they will have a “quantum internet” linking several Dutch cities in a few years. See https://qutech.nl/research-engineering/ ... -internet/
gill1109
Mathematical Statistician

Postby minkwe » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:17 pm

gill1109 wrote:Delft believes they will have a “quantum internet” linking several Dutch cities in a few years. See https://qutech.nl/research-engineering/ ... -internet/

I'm eagerly waiting for the time when I can tell my boss I both I didn't miss the zoom meeting because I actually attended in a separate branch.
minkwe

Postby gill1109 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:16 pm

minkwe wrote:
gill1109 wrote:Delft believes they will have a “quantum internet” linking several Dutch cities in a few years. See https://qutech.nl/research-engineering/ ... -internet/

I'm eagerly waiting for the time when I can tell my boss I didn't miss the zoom meeting because I actually attended in a separate branch.

:lol:
gill1109
Mathematical Statistician

Return to Sci.Physics.Foundations